Monday, July 26, 2010

It all started with a mouse. Or a post on a blog.

I love hobbies. Unfortunately, I don't also stick to them. I go through phases: one week I am really crafty and make lots of cute knick knacks for my living space, the next I am on a fitness kick where I run and stretch and attempt to get myself back to the shape I was in 5 years ago (fail, by the way). Currently, it's blogging. We'll see how long this lasts.

I guess the 1st thing I should have started with would have been an introduction of sorts about myself.
I am a 21 year old college student who aspires to live in Disney World.
*sigh* I wish it was more exciting than that, but I could go on and on about myself and why spoil all the fun in my first posting? This blog is just a place for me to talk, since I love to talk (oh, surprise fact #2!) and tell my stories and adventures and ideas and just thoughts in general from day-to-day life.

I work at a daycare (until Friday that is) and I have recently realized how sad I am truly going to be to leave all of my kids behind. I can visit them, sure, but I have watched these kids grow and develop and learn over the past year and I would be lying if I said that behind all of the grumbling and complaining about my job the past 11 months there wasn't an abundance of love for those kids. One of the little girls stole my heart from Day 1 and I had to take her and her sister home tonight. I was pretty sure I knew how to get to their house, but I wasn't 100% positive. Lucky for me, big sis is 7 (8 on Sunday) and knows how to get home from the daycare. While on the way home, I asked her if she was going to help me. She said yes. Then little sis piped in and said, "Yeah Miss Mollie, it's easy. We live right next door to our neighbors."
Naturally, I knew just where that was.
And now I sit here immersed in sadness over the loss of little stories like these and all the hugs and kisses and pictures I receive weekly come Friday at 6 p.m.. All to move away to go to school. *grumble* However, I know I did my best at my job, and hope that the kids miss me enough to give me warm welcomes when I return to say hi and play. But I must move on and get an education, which is what I told them today. I was then confronted with the question, "What's an education?" How do you describe an education to a 4 1/2 year old boy?

"The act or process of imparting or acquiring general
knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning andjudgment,
and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life."
Or...
"You go to school for your whole life and then you have to pay lots and lots of money to learn more stuff that you are never going to apply to your everyday life."
So I just stuck with, "An education is what you get when you go to school and learn."
The response? "Wow."
Wow is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment